To DIY or Not To DIY…

…That is the question! Many of us Kiwis like to get our hands dirty around the house, but it’s best to leave the plumbing, gasfitting and drainlaying to the pros. There’s a long list of jobs that must be done by a qualified professional to ensure it’s done safely and legally, and a short list of things you’re allowed to do yourself. For detailed information please visit the PGDB website and download their Know what you can DIY Consumer Guide PDF.

At Rivercity Gas, we’re committed to your safety and peace-of-mind first and foremost. Gas is not a toy and faulty or badly installed gas appliances can lead to very serious consequences. That’s why we insist on adhering to all government legislation and the guidelines of the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board, making sure all our work is undertaken by our properly qualified staff.

Sort the Pros from the Cons: Ask For The Card

Hiring a plumber, gasfitter or drainlayer? Before you do, ask to see their card to check they have authorisation. Without it, it’s illegal for anyone to do this work in NZ.

All authorised tradespeople must carry their authorisation card issued by the Plumbers Gasfitters & Drainlayers Board (PGDB). The card also details what a person’s supervision requirements are, if any (on the reverse). You can also check to see if a person is authorised by phoning the PGDB on 0800 743 262.

Customer Complaints

While we take every precaution to do the best possible job for you, we understand that sometimes things go wrong. We promise to try and put it right, but as a consumer, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the national gas regulatory body, New Zealand Plumbers, GasFitters and Drainlayers Board.

Click here to go straight to their website to make a complaint.

The Plumbers, Gasfitters, and Drainlayer’s Board runs an independent, fair process for dealing with complaints about the conduct of plumbers, gasfitters, and drainlayers. This process applies to the following people:

  • registered plumbers, gasfitters, or drainlayers
  • plumbers, gasfitters, or drainlayers who hold provisional licences
  • plumbers, gasfitters, or drainlayers who were registered at the time of the relevant conduct but are not anymore
  • plumbers, gasfitters, or drainlayers who are already subject to a Board order in relation to plumbing, gasfitting, or drainlaying work.

NOTE: the law on complaints and discipline in relation to plumbers, gasfitters, and drainlayers is set out in Part 3, Subpart 1 of the Plumbers, Gasfitters, and Drainlayers Act 2006.